Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Granola Perfected

I have been working on perfecting this recipe for many years, actually I have probably been making this since I was about 19 years old. I love to make a big batch about once a month to have around for breakfast and snacking. It always comes out a bit different depending on what I have around and my 'flavor mood' when I'm making it.
This is my basic recipe, but no need to follow closely. As long as your proportions are semi-similar and you don't burn it then it will come out super yummy!

I am also posting the original recipe I based mine off from Moosewood Restaurant, so you can see how a recipe can evolve over the years based on your own personal likes.

Granola Perfected

Ingredients:
4 or 5 cups rolled oats (not quick oat)
2 cups coarsely chopped nuts (pistachios, almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans)
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup shredded coconut
4 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tsp cinnamon 
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 honey
1 tsp fine grain sea salt
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Sometimes I also add:
1/4 cup chopped crystalized ginger 
1/4 cocoa nibs
3/4 dried fruit
lots more coconut (because this is one of my favorite things ever)

Directions:
1. Place all the dry ingredients (nuts, oats, seeds, salt and cinnamon) in a large bowl and stir together.
2. In a small saucepan on low heat, warm the oil, honey or syrup, and salt.  Stir the vanilla.
3. Gradually pour in the warm oil and honey over the dry mixture and stir until all the ingredients are evenly coated.
3. Spread the granola on an un–oiled baking sheet. In a preheated 325 degree oven, bake for 30 minutes. Check at 15 minutes and stir if needed or desired (you don't want the bottom to burn and this prevents clumping, but I like clusters so I try not stir if I am not at risk of burning the bottom).  Remove from oven and let cool completely before storing.

Yields: apx 8 cups
Hands-on-time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes

Original Moosewood Restaurant Ingredients:
1/4 cup safflower oil
1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
1 tsp. fine grain sea salt
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
2 cups coarsely chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts)
6 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
3/4 cup dried fruit
1/3 cup shredded coconut
2 tbsp. sesame seeds

Happy Baking!

2 comments:

Shana Astrachan said...

Do you have questions about which coconut oil to buy? Read this: http://www.evolvingwellness.com/essay/how-to-choose-a-coconut-oil-comparing-best-and-worst-brands
Nutiva is my favorite.

Shana Astrachan said...

A friend making this asked how to get clumps in her batch. Try one of these steps- http://food52.com/blog/8661-how-to-get-clumps-in-your-granola