Monday, April 11, 2022

Palm Springs Recommendations from Fox & Doll



I have been going to Palm Springs since April 2013 and have been back so many times since, with an average of twice a year. My trips have evolved from staying mostly by the hotel pool (see the post here from my first Palm Springs trip) to being 2-3 week adventures with plenty of vintage shopping, great vegetarian food, day trips, caftan wearing and of course I still get in plenty of pool time.

April 2017

August 2017

January 2019, it can get cold!

May 2019

October 2019


Because I have been so many times people often ask me for recommendations, so now I have finally put together a compilation of favorites. Take note that there was a big gap in my travels to Palm Springs during the height of covid, I was there in January 2020 and then finally returned this month in April 2022. Luckily all of my favorites were still there!!! The only exception is the Elvis Honeymoon Hideway, it is still there but you can't visit it anymore because it sold to a private buyer in 2020.



February 2018 at the Elvis Honeymoon Hideaway, on their bed!


Favorite spots to visit in Palm Springs:

Moorten Botanical Garden - Located just around the corner from the Ace Hotel, don't forget to check out the turtles in the back area. Closed Wednesdays.


Walking the historic neighborhoods - I am obsessed with the architecture and landscaping








Driving the historic neighborhoods at night - the shadows on the houses are amazing




Palm Springs Aerial Tramway - I have actually never done it, but am always keeping it in mind for future trips and for particularly hot days since it is much cooler up there.


Palm Springs Art Museum - Closed Mon, Tues and Wed.





Vintage shopping  - This is a big one for me, so check out my upcoming post, but for now I will tease you with Iconic Atomic, Dazzles and the Vintage Market.






Eating - This is also a big one for me so I will do a separate eating and drinking in Palm Springs post but in the meantime for food don't miss Birba, Workshop, Farm (brunch), Chef Tanyas Kitchen (all vegan) and Mod Cafe. Eat ice cream at Kreem and the Ice Cream Shoppe. And drink at Bootleggers, Seymour's, Tonga Hut, Truss and Twine.

Brunch at Farm 2018
Kreem May 2019


Favorite day trips out of Palm Springs:


Shields Date Farm - Get brunch, a date shake, take a tour and watch "The Romance and Sex Life of the Date".


Salvation Mountain - It is a bit of a drive but makes for a unique day and great photos, if you get started early you can pair it with a the Shields Date Farm trip.

Salvation Mountain January 2020


Cabazon Dinosaurs - A fun stop and great photo spot. There are outlet stores nearby if that's your thing. 


Cabazon Dinosaurs January 2020


Great Hikes - There are so many beautiful options. Do your research and bring lots of water and snacks.

Joshua Tree - This can be a day trip from Palm Springs. Plus a stop at Natural Sisters Cafe, The Beauty Bubble Salon and Museum and the hidden shops behind it. 


May 2019 at the Beauty Bubble exhibition opening


Pioneer Town and Yucca Valley - Half way to Joshua Tree. Eat at Pappy and Harriets, walk the old west movie set location and shop the one block strip in Yucca Valley.

Brunch at the Pink Cabana - Located at The Sand Hotel, yummy and beautiful. The spa looks lovely too, at least go peek your head in to take a look at it.


Monthly events to plan your trip around:


Palm Springs Vintage Market - The first Sunday of the month October through May.



Live music at Pappy and Harriets - Keep an eye on the calendar and plan ahead.


Yearly events to plan your trip around:


Palm Springs International Film Festival - You will find me there each year seeing films and doing makeup and hair for presenters. There is also a blog post I did from one of my film festival trips a few years back. 


Makeup and hair by me January 2020

Hair by me, Film Festival 2020

Film Noir Festival - Give me any excuse to see more noir films! I have been to this and it is great! Happening in mid May.


Tiki Caliente - A tiki party in the desert. Happening in May.


Modernism Week - Happening in February and May. Plan ahead, it can get crowded and expensive but is so much fun.

October 2018 Modernism Week Event, hair styled by me

February 2018 Modernism Car Show


Paradise Road Show - Classic cars and bikes, plus great vendors selling vintage and more. Happens January.



Where to stay:

I have actually only stayed a few places in all my trips to Palm Springs, but can recommend many from all the research and pool visits I have done. I slightly hesitantly share my favorite place to stay, but hey maybe I'll run into friends next time. And I would love to hear where others have stayed and loved. 

The Twist

The Float

Arrive

The Parker

The Ace

The Ocotillo (via AirBnb Hostess with the Most) - Very historic. A wonderful private spot and a pool shaped like a champagne cork!


January 2020 at The Twist


May 2019 at The Ocotillo

Do you love it in Palm Springs so much that you want to buy a place there? Here is my realtor friend Dylan's info. And you better invite me as a guest when you do, joking (sort of). I also recommend following her instagram and YouTube for much more mid century inspiration. 


Please share with me your favorite Palm Springs spots, anything I missed on this list and anything I recommended to you personally that you loved. 


xo Fox & Doll 💋


No comments: